Who We Are
The MSU Idea Shop is about bringing concepts to reality – and ultimately into the hands of customers – all in one building. Located in a 2,000 sq.ft. retail store at 114 E. Main Street in Starkville, MS, the facility houses the Turner A. Wingo Maker Studio and the MSU Retail Product Accelerator. The Idea Shop is operated by MSU’s Center for Entrepreneurship and Outreach (MSU CEO) and the School of Human Sciences (SHS). More information is located at http://ideashopmsu.com.
Where You Fit
Design Build Specialists handle day-to-day duties for the Turner A. Wingo Maker Studio. But perhaps more importantly, this role is a key position in the Idea Shop, serving as a visionary that helps build and bring ideas to life. Often those ideas are undefined, vague, or otherwise unconstrained. Successful individuals thrive in that atmosphere, and she or he will seek new ways to push the capabilities of the Idea Shop and their own skills. Your principal goals are to ensure that our members are maximizing their experience and value out the Idea Shop, with particular emphasis in helping current or prospective entrepreneurs create prototypes.
This is a broad role with significant responsibility, high expectations, and considerable freedom. Your day-to-day activity will be often somewhat undefined and you must be a self-starter. While assigned to a specific team, you are expected to assist with all aspects of the Idea Shop. Some days that can mean interacting with fun and interesting projects, while other days more mundane duties.
- Assist members with design and build projects in the maker studio
- Informing customers and potential members about the Idea Shop and it’s role within the University and the Community
- Assist with events/workshops hosted at the Idea Shop
- Assist with graphic design work for the Idea Shop
- Supervise and assist members with usage of all equipment and provide guidance on proper tool usage
- Assist with equipment setup and maintenance and provides input to the leadership team on new tool acquisition opportunities
- Assist with initiatives to drive member growth
- Clean the store, take out trash, dust and mop floors, clean restroom and receiving room, and help set up sidewalk displays
- Actively strive to maintain a safe work environment for all users of the Idea Shop
- Performing other duties as assigned by University Leadership to maximize store profitability and member satisfaction while protecting the interest of the institution
- Currently enrolled at Mississippi State University.
- Maintains good academic standing with at least a 2.5 GPA
- Must be able to provide multiple examples of completed projects demonstrating abilities
- Effective interpersonal and oral communication skills
- Must be willing to work occasional atypical hours for special events
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite (Illustrator, Photoshop, Indesign)
- Interest in learning woodworking tooling and techniques (experience preferred)
- 3D modeling in any of the following: Fusion 360*, Sketchup, Rhino
- 2D drafting in AutoCAD
- Interest in learning about 3D printing and laser engraving
- Type: Part-time (up to 20-hr/wk)
- Pay Range: $10-15/hr (commensurate with experience)
- Benefits: Not Eligible
- Restrictions: Currently enrolled MSU students in good academic standing