Who We Are
MSU’s Center for Entrepreneurship and Outreach (E-Center) empowers students to plan, launch and grow successful local and global companies based on new ideas or MSU-invented technology. Our companies are graded in the real world – by success or failure with actual, paying customers. We use applied learning to strengthen our pipeline of entrepreneurs from K-12 to college students to graduates. We have broad involvement of alumni and friends to help mentor, coach, and invest in our startups. Our priority on generating a track record of exits and profitable local businesses makes us a national leader in this field and motivates ever-increasing investor interest in these areas. These companies contribute to a thriving young professional community, cementing Starkville as the startup hub of Mississippi and propelling our expansion throughout the Southeast.
Where You Fit
The Graphic Design Associate provides invaluable support to both the E-Center and its clients by creating high-visual impact messages. This role involves cross-collaboration with our entire team to craft and perfect the overall image of the organization and the creation of collateral in support of the marketing and recruiting goals of the center. In addition, the Graphic Design Associate consults and brainstorms with client entrepreneurs on their startup’s brand, helping them to identify ideas for brand and identity. This position directly supports Goal 6 of our 2021-2031 strategic plan and reports to the Director.
This is a broad role with significant responsibility, high expectations, and considerable freedom. Your day-to-day activity will be often somewhat undefined, and you must be a self-starter. While assigned to a specific team, you are expected to assist with all aspects of the CEO. Sometimes this includes seemingly mundane yet necessary tasks like cleaning workspaces, organizing files, and running errands. Other times it includes meeting and having lunch with actual billionaires. Our team must handle both situations with enthusiastic professionalism. We are focused on driving team wins. Like team sports, we expect you to help us win the game, by working to the best of your abilities to help startups exit the program successfully.
- Design various promotional web graphics, flyers, signage systems, posters, invitations, editorial design, motion graphics, and other marketing/promotional materials
- Drive initiatives to keep the E-Center’s brand identity fresh and consistent across all platforms, in alignment with university guidelines and the E-Center’s identity guidelines.
- Maintain and update our website and other digital assets, such as electronic display signs
- Inject strong creative visual and aesthetic input across all activities, collateral, and special projects
- Provide light consultative ideation and brainstorming support to entrepreneurial clients
- Greet office guests, answer questions, and direct to proper individuals
- Assist with paperwork, answering telephones, filing correspondence, running errands on campus, stuffing envelopes, making copies, cleaning workspaces and researching topics online
- Make suggestions on how to streamline processes or increase efficacy of program
- Complete other duties as requested by professional staff
- Currently enrolled at Mississippi State University
- Maintains good academic standing with at least a 2.5 GPA
- Currently working on a new startup or prior experience with a startup company
- Work experience in the area and/or a growing relevant portfolio
- Junior or senior status in the College of Art, Architecture, and Design
- Proficiency with Adobe Creative Cloud applications
- Type: Part-time (up to 20-hr/wk)
- Pay Range: $10-15/hr
- Benefits: Not Eligible
- Restrictions: Currently enrolled MSU students in good academic standing